Monday, February 22, 2016

Lockerian Times #1

Written 2/22/16

For a long time, I always figured I just wasn't important enough to keep up a page, or write a blog. Reflections on recent developments have convinced me otherwise, that an episodic trilogy of my exploits may prove suitable. So now, the 22nd of February, 2016, Year of our LORD! I am beginning my official blog, the Lockerian Times.


Lockerian Times continues a grand tradition which began in 2009 or so with the Matt Show. At that time, I was simply a child, and I used profanities to express my feelings about a particular topic. Now I have augmented manifold my knowledge and I find it appropriate to make my unique contribution to the great media cloud of the internet.

The internet is such a wonderful and ubiquitous substance, a web which now connects the lives of billions of souls- young and old, rich and poor. We share our stories and our feelings, showcasing them for generations current and succeeding, and we lay ourselves out to the judgement of our peers, nobly and correctly. By getting to the point of what we really mean, we perform a case study on our own personalities, chronicle the present and allow ourselves to suppose of the future with new and objective insight.

Without delay, I shall meet thee godspeed at the aperture of a new and a very Lockerian comedy.

Our first selection for discussion is a swell video from PETA.

https://www.facebook.com/PETAIndia/videos/10153980637536683/

The first thing I thought when I saw this was that the bacon was not close to finished. Had I ever eaten that garbage, I would feel the bern on the bottom portion of my esophagus for the entire morning. My second thought was about a conversation I had with a friend of mine from France. We talked about the issue of vegetarianism and the data that had recently come out indicting red meat as being unhealthy. I told him that I do eat meat, but I try not to eat it much, or to at least cater to more local sources.

Now, for the longest time, I didn't really care about what I ate. The popular mode of awareness was summed up in this quote from Pat Buchanan's Culture War speech, delivered to the Republican National Convention in 1992: “The central organizing principle of this republic is freedom. And from the ancient forests of Oregon and Washington, to the Inland Empire of California, America’s great middle class has got to start standing up to these environmental extremists who put birds and rats and insects ahead of families, workers, and jobs“.

Perhaps at the time, many people agreed with this sentiment. For much of my own youth, I felt that the environmentalists (especially vegetarians) were a bunch of crazy assholes, much different from the rest of society. This sprang from the difference in what we eat, in essence, but also from their unwillingness to become complacent to my ideal classical liberal society.

Ignorance breeds many ideas of how our worldview is the best. It often feigns itself as being eloquent and knowing, yet makes one crude and unwilling to know. No one appeared to my youthful self in order to pose the idea that animals could be equal to humans, or that they could feel. No one told me of the great consensus of scientists who conclude that climate change is significant. However, even if they had, I probably would have chopped up both of these facts within my deductive reasoning apparatus.

Really though. None of us want beings to live terrible lives and then die slowly, nor do we want a planet like Venus, dominated by industrial giants devoid of community ethics. It is imperative to realize that the work of environmentalists and animal rights activists helps all of us.

Our second selection: a short poem authored by yours truly.

Feeling Ghost
from January 16, 2016

When all is done
God's might made grand,
things set in stone, and
we've flown away like sand;

Someone will play our song
we'll dance a few minutes
then everything'll be gone;
in the self-same daydream,

Someone will play our song
so they will put us on
from the darkness
of night.

So play our song, darling, one more time.

Background: I wrote this poem after a discussion with a friend on the game Pikmin. Speaking in terms of a materialistic universe, I considered the natural order the Pikmin (little plant fuckers) had spawned into, and the ways in which the journey of Captain Olimar impacted it.

Olimar came from the planet Hocotate, which to my knowledge had an atmosphere of Methane which he was naturally accustomed to. Being a part of the natural order of a posthuman Earth, the Pikmin happily take themselves up to be expended to aid the stowaway Olimar in his quest to repair his ship and escape the toxic aerobic planet.

Little could Olimar have understood in his 30< day quest the ways in which he became a part of this natural order. He truly became a leader to the Pikmin, while they became his servants, indebted to him for rescuing their dormant colonies from the realm of irrelevance. The Pikmin express these emotions for Olimar in the song Ai No Uta (Song of Love), while Olimar expresses his own feels after leaving in Namida Ga Afureta (The Tears Overflowed). It's a real “Oh shit, I forgot to tell you I loved you” or “I can't tell you I love you because I don't know Hocotatian/ don't have a mouth or other structures conducive to vocal function but this is what I would say” kinda deal.



Pikmin Singing "Ai no Uta" from Pikmin 2

They say that we've all drank water Hitler has pissed out. Our most intimate moments are just a repetition of the intimacies of others, and we are nothing but those others in the materials which encompass our beings. So as nothing ever truly is destroyed, perhaps we should not be so afraid of what must ultimately come. Though we lament them now, the stargazing lovers still exist somewhere in space and time.


So that wraps up our first issue. Thank you all for reading.

John Lockers

No comments:

Post a Comment